Hummingbird cake for a winter celebration...

 Twice a year in my office we hold little birthday celebrations for all the "winter babies" and the "summer babies". This time around I wanted to make a Hummingbird cake* which I had come across a long time ago in one of my first ever gluten free baking books but had never attempted. I have adapted it slightly along the way but it wouldn't be me if I didn't have all the right ingredients, right!

I am always nervous agreeing to bake for a specific functions to the point where the fear of disappointment is too much to bear and I say no. I am trying to do better and have more confidence in myself and my abilities but it's hard, right. I know my baking trials most of the time are perfect but that little voice inside can be so load! 
 
This time round I bit the bullet and told my boss I'd make a cake which she promptly went on to announce to the whole department, so there was no backing out then.
 
Let me first apologize for the crappy iPhone pictures. It was after 10 pm by the time I got it all finished and I was way passed pretty pictures at that stage. 

 
 Cake
5 tbsp. Walnuts
3 tbsp Coconut flakes
Tin of Pineapple
2 ripe Bananas
150 ml Coconut Oil
3 Large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Gluten Free self-raising flour*
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
 
Frosting
1 Large Egg white
175g Caster Sugar
1/4 tsp Cream of Tarter
2 tbsp Water
 
*I had some of the Robin Hood Gluten Free All Purpose Flour blend left over from Christmas so to make it self-raising I added 2 tsp of baking powder to 1 cup of flour as per the Ask Nigella forum. Sift the flour and baking powder together and mix well before adding any of the recipe ingredients.
 
 
 
Preheat oven to 195C/Gas mark 5. Grease and line two 8 inch sandwich tins. Chop walnuts and place in a single layer a baking sheet, toast for 8 minutes. Spread the coconut on a separate baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes. Remove both from oven and put aside.
 
Place pineapple, with 4 tablespoons of the juice in a food processor, add bananas, coconut oil, toasted walnuts, eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined well.
 
In a large bowl combine, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar and salt and make a well. Add the pineapple banana mixture and whisk until smooth.
 
Pour mixture evenly into the prepared sandwich tins and smooth top with the back of a spoon. Bake for 25 or 30 minutes depending on your oven, until cakes are well risen and golden. Use a skewer to check the inside.
 
 
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for at least 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack to cool entirely.
 
The frosting sets very quickly so I waited until the cakes where completed cooled before starting to make it. Place all the ingredients into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water. Mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until thick, about 10 to 12 minutes.
 
Place a sponge on a serving plate or cake board, coat with an even layer of frosting, then place the second sponge carefully on top. Use the remaining frosting to cover the top and sides of the cake, then sprinkle the toasted coconut around the sides.
 
Allow to set in a cool place, but not the fridge, before serving. This cake can be stored for up to two days in an air tight container. 
 
Mine didn't last long enough for left overs, everyone loved it and were very surprised to hear it was gluten free.
 
 
 
 If you like this recipe and want to see more recipe trails from the country cottage musings kitchen be sure to check us out on Facebook or follow on Pinterest, Instagram , Twitter and Bloglovin for updates.
 
Michelle xxx

Comments

Popular Posts