Saturday Bakes...

I had my baking hat on on Saturday. I was full of productiveness (is that even a word, it doesn't sound right) and made Soda Bread, Muffins, Tea cake and
even a bit at white pudding which I've shared previously. 


Today I'm sharing the Orange Cranberry Muffins and the Tea Cake.
The first batch of muffins went in the bin. They were awful {not a Pinterest trial I will be sharing} but I managed to pull them back with a second batch I made using a combination of two recipes from the Cake Angels book you've heard speak of before.






Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Muffins
 
200g (7oz) Unsalted butter
200g (7oz) Caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 Orange
4 Large eggs, beaten
Juice of 1 Orange about (1/4 cup)
200g (7oz) Self raising gluten free flour**
2tsp Xanthum gum
1 cup cranberries
 
Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line muffin pan with cases. Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest together until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.

Beat eggs in a separate bowl until pale yellow and frothy, Add orange juice. Gradually add some of the egg mix, a little at a time on medium, mixing well with each addition. If mixture curdles, turn the mixer up high for a few seconds and it will become smooth again. I like to add my cranberries at this point.

In a separate bowl shift the flour and xanthum gum together, mix well. Using a large metal spoon fold in the flour being careful not to knock out the air.

Divide the mixture between each muffin case, filling half way. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cakes are well risen and the sponge springs back when touched.

Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack.
 
**To make self raising gluten free flour I add one and a half teaspoons of baking powder with a quarter teaspoon of salt for each cup of gluten free flour**







  
My Aunt gave me a recipe book when I was at home for Christmas that I hadn't tried anything from so I decided to start with this Brandy Raisin Tea Cake. It turned out fantastic. Super soft and fluffy and really simple to make.



Brandy Raisin Tea Cake



100g/8tbsp raisins
1 measure of Brandy
100ml Boiling water
3 eggs
3tbsp vegetable oil
90g/7tbsp caster sugar
100g/8tbsp Gluten Free Flour
1tsp baking powder



To start you want to prep your tin. Now I lined my tin with parchment paper however I have since come to learn having watched one too many episodes of The Great British Bake Off that that is not a good idea for this kind of cake. Simply grease your tin. This is a kind of chiffon cake and it needs to grip the tin in order to rise apparently. Also after you remove the cake from the oven, run a knife  around the cake and immediately take it out of the pan. Do not let if cool in the pan or the steam that has been trapped inside will deflate the cake. {I left mine in the tin hence the slightly flatter cake}



Preheat oven to 180C. Soak the raisins in the brandy and boiling water for about 10 minutes.

Separate your eggs. Whites in a large clean bowl or the bowl of your mixer and yolks to another. Whisk the whites until stiff and add the sugar, whisking until the egg whites look appear glossy and meringue like.



Add the vegetable oil flour and baking powder to the egg yolks and mix for 8-10 minutes until smooth. Add a drop teaspoon of vanilla extract to loosen mixture if necessary.



Slowly mix the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture with a large metal spoon so as not to knock out any air. Then add the raisins. Mix until fully incorporated.



Place cake into tin and cook for 25-30 minutes. All ovens vary so do judge for yourself. Mine took about 40 minutes. Isn't she the prettiest. If I ever tasted clouds I'm sure this is what they are like.


 
               

Hope you all had a great weekend. We expect delivery of our invitations during the week so next weekend will be a busy one. Excited.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle xxx


Sharing With




Comments

Popular Posts