Adventure with bread making - Take 5 -Carrot and Walnut Loaf

Gluten Free Carrot Walnut Loaf
 
I made this beauty during the summer and never got around to posting it and thankfully so. I remade it at the weekend and it came out much better than my first attempt below. As you can see the first loaf is denser and it flopped in the middle. At the time I thought it was ok but I'm so glad I went back to it and tried it again. So much better second time round.
 
First Attempt
 
 
 I'm putting the difference down to the fact that this time round I used proper Buttermilk as apposed to souring milk with lemon juice which I did the first time round. {Note to self sometimes it pays to not substitute ingredients}
 
As with most of my bread recipes the original came from  Bette Hagmans "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread". I have amended it slightly to make a larger loaf . I really can't recommend this book enough. There are so many recipes I can't wait to try and can honestly say I haven't touched the surface of what's available in this book. It's the only book I've had consistently good results from and as my mam says "if it's not broke don't fix it". Successful bakes make for a happy Shelly after all.{And no I'm not getting any commission :-)}
 



Dry Ingredients
Four Flour Bean Mix 3 cups
Xanthum Gum 2 1/4tsp
Brown Sugar 3tbsp
Baking Soda 1tsp
Baking Powder 3tsp
Egg replacer 1 1/2tsp
Almond Meal 3tbsp
Salt 3/4tsp
Cinnamon 1 1/2tsp
Carrot 1 cup (Finely grated and pat dry)
1/3 cup chopped Walnut
 
Wet Ingredients
3 Egg plus 1 egg white
Melted Margarine 4 1/2 tbsp
Vinegar/Dough Enhancer 3/4 tsp
Butter Milk 3/4 cups

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and prepare pan*. Mix dry ingredients minus the carrot in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk the eggs and egg white slightly, add the dough enhancer, margarine and the buttermilk.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix completely. Do not use a mixer.  Mixture should look like cake batter. If too thick thin by adding a tablespoon of water at a time. Stir in the carrots.


Put the mixture in the prepared tin and bake for 55-60 minutes. Leave in the pan to cool for about 10 minutes, remove to cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.

* I prepared my pan by lining the base and sides with double thickness parchment paper. My oven tends to run on the high side.
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you all have a great week.
 
 
Michelle xxx
 
Sharing With

Pretty Pintastic Party
Foodie Friday with Pure Grace Farms
The Gluten Free Home Maker for Gluten Free Wednesday
Allergy Free Wednesday with Real Food, Allergy Free
New Mrs. Adventures Tasty Tuesday
Gluten Free and DIY Tuesday
Rattlebridge Farm's Foodie Friday
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts