My party piece...







We were having a little party at work last week to celebrate all the birthdays that happen during the year were everybody brings a little something. They have similar get together's a couple of times a year, be it for people who are transferring departments or leaving the company but I never committed to making anything because I'm always afraid it wouldn't turn out right. So when the invite went out I told myself that this time I would make a gluten free cake and bring it in
{Although I was still not ready to say it out loud so I kept it to myself. Thankfully}

I planned to make a lemon sponge, making the lemon curd the day before I was to make the sponges to give myself plenty of time for baking night to go nice and smoothly. Best laid plans right- I nearly lost my life to my handheld mixer and well after that it was downhill from there.
 
The whisk attachments got caught up in my apron and while trying to free myself it cut up my finger. After a few choice words to which J said replied "that's a drastic step to take to get yourself a Kitchen Aid Mixer" I carried on to have the sponges sink and burn in my crazy a** oven which can't stay at one temperature for longer than 15 minutes. At that stage I'd lost all interest. The cake was thrown together, I had a few bites to calm my nerves and threw the rest in the bin. Needless to say no cake was presented at the party the following day. Next time for sure!


On Saturday I decided to try again this time without the pressure and what do you know it worked out great. Gluten free baking, self-imposed party pressure and me do not mix. But a rainy summer day in the kitchen provided some great results.

I know Carrie Spense over at Sweet and Savory Spence is a big fan of all things lemon so this is for her. A gluten free lemon curd sponge cake. I hope you like it Carrie.



 
Ingredients


1 cup margarine
1 cup caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 large Eggs, beaten
¼ cup double cream
1 cup Gluten Free self-raising flour*
1 tsp Xanthum Gum
2tsp gluten free baking powder
 
Lemon Syrup
Juice of 2 lemons
7 tbsp. light brown sugar

Filling
Lemon curd (get recipe and directions
here) 
1 1/2cup Whipping cream
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup icing sugar
 
Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5. Line 2 8 inch sandwich pans. If you don’t know how to do this there are lots of tutorials online. You can have a look at this fun quick one or this more professional one.
  
Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
Beat eggs, lemon juice and cream together in a separate bowl. Gradually add some of the egg mixture a little at a time on medium, mixing well with each addition. If mixture curdles, turn the mixer up high for a few seconds and it will become smooth again.
  
In a separate bowl shift the flour, xanthum gum and baking powder together. Using a large metal spoon fold in the flour being careful not to knock out the air.
  
Divide the mixture between each pan, smoothing to the edge with the back of a spoon. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cakes are well risen and the sponge springs back when touched. Insert a skewer in centre ensuring it comes out clean when removed.
 
While the cakes are baking make the lemon syrup by combining the lemon juice and sugar in a bowl stirring well to combine.
 
Remove baked cakes from the oven and gradually spoon the lemon syrup over both. Leave cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning them out on to a wire rack.
 
To make the fillings whip the cream adding the icing sugar and vanilla extract. I make the lemon curd before baking the cakes it gives it time to cool and set. The recipe and directions can be found here.
Once cakes are completely cool, place one cake on your serving platter or plate and spread lemon curd evenly then top with whipped cream. Place the other sponge on top and press down gently. And Ta Da all done and hopefully minus my drama.



I must tell you guys that I used a new gluten free flour mix {which will remain name less for now} to make my first set on sponges. Now as it didn't work out I won't be recommending just yet but I have made cookies with the mix which were fine. Once I've tried a few more recipes and had more success with it I'll be happy to share. *For the successful sponges I used Bette Hagmans Four Flour Bean Mix which to make self raising I add one and a half teaspoons of baking powder with a quarter teaspoon of salt for each cup of gluten free flour. Recipe adapted  from Julia Thomas' Cake Angels

Michelle xxx

Sharing with
New Mrs Adventures for Tasty Tuesday
Rattlebridge Farm for Foodie Friday
Everyday Enchanting and the ladies for Enchanting Inspiration Link Party
The Creative Spark Link Party
Pure Grace Farms for the Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop 
The Turquoise Home and the ladies for Work It Wednesday
Tess the Domestic Diva and the ladies for Allergy Free Wednesday
Upcycled treasures and the ladies for The Makers Link Party
Gluten Free Homemaker for Gluten free Wednesdays
The Baking Beauties and Allergy free Alaska for Gluten Free & DIY Tuesday
Maybe She Made It and the ladies for Do Tell Tuesday
 Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party
Baking in Pyjamas and the ladies for Sweet andSavoury Sundays
Refresh Style and the ladies for InspirationMonday
Liz Marie Blog for Inspire me Please Link Party

 

Comments

Popular Posts