Adventures in bread making - Take 2

Moving on from my success good luck with the four flour bread here I tried a flax meal bread at the weekend which turned out great.
Well eventually..
 
The recipe is another from Bette Hagmans "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread". If you haven't got it already it's definitely one to add to your book list.

 


  
Dry Ingredients
Four Flour Bean Mix 2 cups
Xanthum Gum 1 ½ tsp
Salt ½ tsp
Almond Meal 2 tbsp
Brown Sugar 2tbsp
Egg replacer 1 tsp
Dry yeast granules 2 ¼ tsp

 
Wet Ingredients
Flax meal 4 tsp
Cool water 1/3 cup
Honey 1 tbsp
Vinegar/Dough Enhancer ½ tsp
Margarine 2 tbsp (cut into chunks)
Warm water (110deg) 1 cup

 
Grease and prepare pan*. Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Dissolve the flax meal in cool water, whipping with a fork. Add honey, dough enhancer, margarine and half of the water. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time to the wet ingredients with the mixer on low. Add more water to ensure mixture is right consistency. It should look like cake batter.
Once combined beat on high for 3 and a half minutes. Put the mixture in the prepared tin, cover with cling film and set in a warm place to rise** for 35-35 minutes for rapid-rising yeast, 60 or more minutes for regular yeast or until the bread reaches the top of the pan. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. After 10 minutes cover with tin foil. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.
* I prepared my pan by lining the base and sides with double thickness parchment paper. My oven tends to run on the high side.
** I heat my oven on low while I am mixing the dough, turn it off and place the mix in the warm oven to rise**


 
 Just a little word to the wise and it goes without saying I’m sure but please make sure you remove the risen bread from the oven before preheating it to 400 degrees. I cover the pan with a tea towel and place on top of the cooker while its preheating.

This genius {me} had so many things going on in the kitchen on Saturday that I forgot and just turned the oven on to preheat when the time came to put in the bread I couldn’t find it surprise surprise!
I did however bake the ensuing mess and made breadcrumbs while I mixed a fresh batch. Every cloud right…..
 
Anyone like to share some Gluten free baking disasters like the one I had here or are you all generally like myself and Butter, basil, and breadcrumbs  in that once it tastes good you don't mind how it looks??
 
 
On an entirely different note I wanted to share with you the talented guys from The Sidewalk Crusaders. We came across them outside the Eaton Centre on Sunday. They perform little pop up shows all over the city. All the money they raise goes into college and university funds. They are out and about all over the city during the summer so do check them out if your downtown.
You can find out more about them here, on facebook, or on twitter @SidewalkCrusade
 


Michelle xxx

Sharing with


New Mrs. Adventures Tasty Tuesday
Foodie Firday at Rattlebridge Farm
Smile for No Reason for the Everyday life link Party
Baking in Pyjamas and the ladies for Sweet and Savoury Sundays
Tess the Domestic Diva and the ladies for Allergy Free Wednesday 
Pure Grace Farms for the Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop
Upcycled treasures and the ladies for The Makers Link Party
Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party
The Ultimate Link Party
Liz Marie Blog for Inspire me Please Link Party
A dish for daily life for Foodie Friday link Party
Addicted 2 DIY for Thursday S.T.Y.L.E Link Party
Gluten Free Homemaker for Gluten free Wednesdays
The Turquoise Home and the ladies for Work it Wednesday
One Krieger Chick and the ladies for Hit Me With Your Best Shot
The Baking Beauties and Allergy free Alaska for Gluten Free & DIY Tuesday
Refresh Style and the ladies for Inspiration Monday











<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12538623/?claim=dazcfqag6cu">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Comments

Popular Posts